Grants of up to £1,500 are available to cover the travel and accommodation costs associated with the applicant pursuing a field-based genetic research project. The research field should be one producing results that would typically be suitable for publication in the Society's journal Heredity. The scheme is not intended to cover the costs of fieldworkers other than the applicant, to cover the costs of salaries for those engaged in fieldwork, or to fund attendance at conferences. However, equipment necessary for carrying out fieldwork may be covered (within reason).
Criteria for Eligibility:
• PhD students are eligible to apply for this grant immediately after they join the Genetics Society
• Other applicants (i.e. PI's) must have been members of the Genetics Society for at least one year
• A maximum of one Heredity Fieldwork grant per individual per two years will be awarded
• Only one application per research group will be funded in any one year
• The applicant must be completing the fieldwork themselves
• Recipients of these grants must submit a short report within two months of completion of the project that may be included in the GS newsletter
Applications should be made online via the Genetics Society Grants application site. Deadlines are quarterly (5 January, 1 April, 1 July, 1 October). To apply please click here.
A complete application should contain the following:
• A completed online GS Funding Application Form
• If the applicant is not a PI (Principal Investigator), the application must be accompanied by a supporting statement from a sponsor, i.e. supervisor, research group leader or head of department who should also be a member of the Genetics Society. This statement should be uploaded via the online application form before the deadline to include their Genetics Society membership number.
The Genetics Society aims to notify the decision within one month of application deadlines. However, applicants are advised to submit applications at the earliest opportunity, and at least 3 months in advance of the start date of training. We regret that feedback on unsuccessful applications is not available.
Other pages in the Funding section that you may be interested in: